Sunday, February 8, 2009

Extravagant gesture: take two

Wow, so we're having twins again! That seems pretty big. We're still trying to wrap our heads around the concept. I pulled out my multiples nutrition and birth book from off the shelf this morning and flipped through it looking for reminders as to how much more protein I need every day etc. (it's a lot). While I was skimming, I came acrosss a chapter that I found amusing. It was on the myriad of reactions that people usually feel after finding out they are carrying multiples.
They said typically, women (and men), go through four stages: Shock-- Denial-- Anxiety/Anger/Depression--Acceptance/Adaption. (It's interesting these are also the stages of grief and mourning).

I tried to recall my feelings from my first pregnancy and I think that it is quite possibly true that I went through a period where I felt all of these emotions distinctly. This time though I think I went a lot more quickly to the acceptance and adaption stage. I don't think that that is necessarily because I've been through it before and am thence prepared. I just think that what else can you really do. Leading up to the ultrasound I perhaps felt more anxiety, but the second I saw those two little heads I moved very quickly past emotion to "well that is that." I felt peaceful and a strong sense that God will provide for us as he always has done. Everything that needs to be done will be done and we will be blessed once again with two more babies that we will love and care for and who will bring exceeding joy and poop into our lives. Perhaps this peace was only due to the holy hour I made before the sonogram, but I am grateful for it.

1 comment:

Kixie said...

Oh my goodness! Twins twice!!! That's amazing. Congratulations to you and Eric, and for Helena and James on being super-big brother and sister!